Gooey Butter Strawberry Shortcake

My brother is always accusing me of being overly superlative. Everything I eat is the best this, the greatest that. (For an example, see my previous post.) I can’t argue with him. Eating good food is cause for excitement in my small little world, and sometimes I might go overboard. However, in this case, I had a houseful of people agreeing with me. You guys, this cake is awesome.

There are so many good things about this cake. One, it is super duper easy to make and I think nearly impossible to screw up. Two, you can make use of whatever berries look best for the topping. Three, you don’t need to go through the process of making frosting. If you really want to be quick about it you could even just slum it with cool whip. But most importantly, it is totally delicious and a perfect summer dessert.

I made this for a mother’s day weekend cookout and there was only one lonely little piece left at the end of the night. In my book, that counts as a success.

Abby wonders if this is her piece

Gooey Butter Strawberry Shortcake
adapted from Willow Bird Baking

Crust:
1 c cake flour
3 T sugar
⅓ c butter, softened

• Combine flour and sugar in a medium bowl, then mix in the butter and work with your fingers to form small crumbs.
  • Press into a greased 10 inch cake pan. Pop in the fridge while you make the filling.

Filling:
1 ¼ c sugar
1 ½ sticks butter, softened
1 egg
1 c all-purpose flour
⅔ c evaporated milk
¼ c light corn syrup
1 t vanilla
pinch of salt
powdered sugar for sprinkling

• Beat the butter and sugar in a mixer for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat to combine.
  • Alternate adding flour and milk, beating just to combine, then add corn syrup, vanilla and salt.
  • Pour on top of crust and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
  • Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Check it at 25. Pull it out before it’s totally set, the middle should still be just the tiniest bit jiggly. Let cool in the pan.

Topping:
2 quarts strawberries
2-3 T heaping tablespoons granulated sugar
1 pint heavy cream
3 T powdered sugar

• About 20-30 minutes before you’re ready to serve, slice up the strawberries and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Mix it up and let sit to macerate.
  • Beat the cream and powdered sugar to soft peaks.
  • Slice up the cake and pile it high with strawberries and cream. Enjoy!
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• Julie @ Willow Bird Baking  On May 13, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed the cake! It came out beautifully!!

• Mara Myers  On May 13, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I sure hope Abby got the last slice!

• B  On May 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Looks like summer. Yum! Poor Abby!

• Bethany  On May 21, 2012 at 12:28 am

Um, how gooey is gooey? If it is anything less than super-gooey, I think I attained the near-impossible and screwed this up! It was still delicious – just not at all attractive. I’ll definitely try again!

• Jackie  On May 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

Well i am super glad you tried it but so sad it was too gooey! Taste always trumps appearance when it comes to dessert though. Did you use a ten inch pan? Sometimes I try to bake things in smaller pans and the middle never really gets as done as it should. Sorry it wasn’t perfect but i’m glad you made it!

• Bethany  On May 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I only had a 9-inch pan, but I tried to compensate by upping the baking time. I guess I have not yet mastered that particular skill :) Excuse to order a new 10 inch cake pan?? I think so!

Trackbacks

• [...] Gooey Butter Strawberry Shortcake The absolute perfect spring dessert. Once strawberries start hitting your farmer’s market, make this cake and be delighted. I really want to make this someday and just sit down with a fork and go to town. It is sublime. [...]

Would you eat this?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 67 other followers